Welcome to episode 9 of A Touch of Multiplatform (ATOM)! This is our podcast dedicated to Kotlin Multiplatform technology in production and produced for you by JetBrains and Touchlab.
In this episode of A Touch of Multiplatform, we’re talking with Allie Ogden of Swappa. Learn more about what it takes to grow skills as a solo mobile developer, get some advice for Android developers working with their iOS dev peers, and what Allie means when she says she’s an “iOS-lite” developer.
Meet our amazing hosts and guests
- 00:00:00 Introduction
- 00:01:40 Meet Allie
- 00:05:40 What is Swappa working on?
- 00:07:30 Growing your skills as a solo mobile developer
- 00:09:45 JetBrains Slack shoutout
- 00:10:23 Being a solo Kotlin Multiplatform developer
- 00:13:20 Allie’s multiplatform processes
- 00:15:25 IDE Templates
- 00:17:20 Essential Features from Appcode
- 00:18:37 Advice to Android/Kotlin developers working with iOS developers
- 00:20:23 How to be an “iOS-lite” developer
- 00:23:25 What’s the most challenging thing about putting KMP into production?
- 00:26:10 Migrating networking stack
- 00:27:57 Debugging crashes in iOS
- 00:30:17 “People don’t notice that you’re using Kotlin Multiplatform”
- 00:32:00 Languages and coding aptitude
- 00:35:50 Connecting with remote colleagues
- 00:39:29 Kotlin Multiplatform resources
- 00:41:13 Kotlin Open Source Library Shoutouts
- 00:43:18 Closing